Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Family Dysfunction

Genesis 27:1-29. Family dysfunction is a sad, but well-recognized, fact of western culture. There is nothing new under the sun, though, because it would be hard to compete with the dysfunction in Isaac’s Middle Eastern home of centuries ago. One can’t help but wonder what had happened to the love that at least Isaac had for Rebekah (Gen. 24:67) when the details of this story arise.

Blind Isaac prepared to bless his eldest son, Esau, and Rebekah, overhearing the plan, conspired to get the blessing for her favourite son, Jacob. A few questions leap immediately to mind: (1) Since God had already revealed to Rebekah (and presumably she had told Isaac) that Jacob was going to be the heir to the promise (“the older will serve the younger”--Gen. 25:23), was Isaac trying to circumvent God’s plan? (2) If Isaac was not willing to comply with God’s will, what had happened to his earlier close relationship with God? (3) Why would Isaac want to waste the blessing on a son who had previously sold his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew (Gen. 25:33) and actually despised his birthright (Gen. 25:35)? Scripture doesn’t reveal the answers to these questions. From my own experience, though, I realize that I do not always like God’s plan for me and my loved ones, as much as I like the plans I dream up. I too can easily walk at arm’s length from God, rather than side-by-side, and can get my eye off the goals of God. And love is not rational. Most parents will continue loving their children, even when their behaviour may not warrant that love.

As I reflect on Rebekah’s deceitfulness, it’s not too difficult to understand why Jacob was as deceitful and grasping as he was at this stage of his life. Her conspiracy against Isaac reveals how little she respected him, but is also indicative of her lack of faith. God had promised to bless Jacob above Esau, but she, like Sarah before her, apparently felt that she needed to “help God out”. There is no evidence that Rebekah had any love or compassion for her disabled and aging husband.

Rebekah thought of every detail in this act of treachery against Isaac. Jacob demurred against the plan at first, but not, one notes, because it was wrong, or out of love for his father. He feared, rather, that they would be found out. I cringe as I read this story of ill-treatment of an elderly husband and father. Isaac was totally duped and gave the blessing to his younger son. If Rebekah had trusted God to fulfil his plans for Jacob instead of trying to take things into her own hands, I wonder how God would have brought blessing to His chosen heir? The years of hardship and separation that followed this horrific event would probably not have been necessary.

The lessons in this passage are lessons that I’ve seen before (and repetition is generally the only way I learn!). I need to keep trusting what I believe God has revealed, even if fulfilment seems slow in coming. Taking matters into my own hands will result in total failure, and possibly deep and lasting grief. God will never bless relationships where I work against another to bring my own selfish plans to fruition. I need to rest in Him to bring His plans for my life to fruition.


“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6.

Subscribe to Madeira musings

No comments: