After Jacob died, Joseph’s brothers, in spite of the years of prosperity they had now enjoyed in Egypt, were fearful of Joseph. They had, after all, sold him into slavery many years before. Perhaps now that their father was dead, he would exact revenge upon them.
Naturally Joseph was distressed and, undoubtedly, hurt that they hadn’t come to know him better than this. Had they not experienced goodness from his hand and that of his employer, the almighty Pharaoh? He explained his perspective to them: “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. (Genesis 50:19-21)
There was not a trace of bitterness in Joseph’s attitude. As he had submitted to the suffering of the past, he had learned to rest in God’s embrace and let him take care of the hurts that he experienced. So he was able to react with kindness and generosity towards these brothers who, even at this late date in their lives, really insulted him by their lack of trust in his good character.
The parallel with my own attitude toward God’s goodness and care is too strong to miss. How many times do I fail to focus on the “living hope” promised in I Peter and instead point my gaze to the struggles which I may be experiencing? How often, like God’s people of old, do I neglect to revel in His goodness, or even miss seeing His care and love, by focusing on the finite? My lack of faith reveals a lack of gratitude for all God has done in the past. I, all too frequently, am guilty of insulting God’s character just as Joseph’s brothers insulted him. My past experiences of God’s goodness should be a cause for gratefulness as well as serving my bedrock as I walk into the future of His grace.
How good is the God we adore,
Our patient, unchangeable Friend,
Whose love is as great as His power
And knows neither measure nor end.
‘Tis Jesus, the first and the last,
Whose Spirit shall guide us safe home.
We’ll praise Him for all that is past,
And trust Him for all that’s to come.
Joseph Hart
Friday, July 20, 2007
Distrust
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment