Thursday, February 14, 2008

Do Not Worry

I think I grew up worrying; at least, it has taken me the better part of sixty years to begin to grasp the value of Jesus' instructions not to worry. In Matthew 6, he tells his followers four times: "Do not worry." Somehow I don't think I'm alone in having had difficulty taking this injunction on board.

In my experience, worrying seems to relate to the need to control. I know a lot of "control freaks", and have been guilty of the same. But this desperate need to control is an extremely destructive force and capable of ripping apart family relationships, church fellowships and becoming like a cancerous tumor in the spiritual lives of individuals. I really don't want to be characterized by that negative quality.

Although Jesus' words have always made sense, from an intellectual perspective, I think seeing the effects of worry on everyday relationships, has intensified my desire to let "tomorrow's worries" take care of themselves. Jesus tells us that we should not worry about our lives and the things that sustain life ("what you eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear.") He notes that "who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Actually, by worrying, we no doubt deduct a few hours, if not years, from our lives.

Why do I so easily allow myself to be trapped in the sticky mesh of anxiety when I could experience the freedom promised to those who "cast all your cares upon him for he cares for you"? A good Lenten sacrifice would be that of consciously giving up the spuriously attractive need to control that so often insinuates itself in my spirit. A positive Lenten action would be embracing the goodness of God and trusting in His sovereignty to care for me and those I love. How can I not trust "the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ....In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." The hard daily discipline of casting myself on God's goodness and seeking His kingdom and good purposes is surely worth the effort!

Subscribe to Madeira musings

2 comments:

Scott R. Davis said...

good and wise words from scriptures that I have referred to time and again. May God give you more good words to share.

Annelise said...

Thank you, Scott! You can see I haven't had time to leave any "good words" for a long time! Maybe in the autumn....?